Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Bunnygrunt "Matt Harnish & Other Delights"

 (HHBTM) I think I have about 67 Bunnygrunt records, and if you'd asked me to describe them I woulda said they were a typical fluffy twee indie pop band. I realize now that I must only have a bunch of singles and no albums, because listening to this full length (which I think comes out after a lengthy hiatus) I have to remix my opinion. While both the dude and gal sing in cutesy voices that keep things always in the vicinity of the Simple Machines Record Club/Olympia, WA/high school girl handwriting mode, this band has serious chops when they get all diverse. The heavy rock pop of "1000% Percent Not Creepy," the spot perfect bubblegum of "S.Kingshighway Bubblegum Factory" (sure they were trying to re-create prototypical b-gum...but it ain't easy to do!), and the freakout feedback get down jam on "Southtown Famous" are all pretty convincing -- these bunnies can do it all! Maybe i should have paid more attention to the b-sides

No comments:

Post a Comment